2. Don’t fidget. Do not touch your dress (yank up strapless top, pull down hemline). Do not touch your face (reapply lipstick, etc). Do not touch your jewelry. Do not scratch anything. Do not pull on undergarments (bra, panties, Spanx) in any way. If you need to do any of these things, excuse yourself to the bathroom.
3. Do not take off your shoes or complain about your feet hurting. A lady always appears as if her feet feel wonderful. To accomplish this, do not wear shoes for first time to this event, wear them in at home for at least three hours. Also, bring band-aids in your handbag to put over blisters. Make sure they are clear band-aids.
4. Be a good date. Be attentive and flirtatious with your date only – you came with him, you’re stuck with him for the night. If you are with mostly your friends, do not leave him out. If you are with mostly his friends, do not be clingy – go talk to the other women. If you really don’t know the other women, lead with a sincere compliment and they’ll include you. Don’t whine – if he refuses to dance and you really want to, tough luck. Try to bring the right date to the right event. I once had a sorority barn dance party and I made sure to invite a guy from Texas so he could teach me the line dances.
5. When sitting, sit up straight. When standing, use exemplary posture. Either clasp your hands in front of you, or behind you. Do not put your hands on your hips. Try to be graceful and poised at all times.
6. When getting out of a car, keep your knees together, swivel on your tush from feet front to feet out the door, and then stand on your two feet together. Hopefully your date will offer you a hand to pull you from the seat but if he does not, push off from the seat behind you. Try not to look like a beached whale launching yourself back to sea. Imagine all those paparazzi shots of panty-less starlets in this exact pose and try to do the exact opposite.
7. When eating: napkin in lap, left hand resting in lap, except when using knife. Take small bites so you will not be stuck chewing when someone asks you a question. Do not order something hard to eat – like a fatty steak. If wearing a light color, avoid dark foods (tomato sauce, brown sauce, red wine - for those readers over 21). Don’t avoid eating. It’s not healthy, you need energy, and no guy likes a non-eater.
8. When taking portraits, exhale fully. If your lungs are empty, you will be smaller. Pull your shoulders back. Stand in ballet third position. Smile, but not too much or your top lip will disappear. Make sure your head is level so your nose will appear small.
9. Have a good time – legitimately. Events like Prom happen once in a lifetime. Avoid drama, be happy, smile. Be a fun girl. If something unpleasant happens (your date throws up on you, your best friend says something mean), put on your big girl pants and cry about it tomorrow.